Who will govern ‘us’ in the future? It’s logical to think that it may very well be the emergent digital superpowers. In a few years, they may be able to supplant banks as masters of the world. To many this seems increasingly apparent in a rapidly expanding knowledge-based society.
Are the big banks behind the new masters of the world? :
However, after 2020 (?), the situation will change because the Internet we know is only a transitional Internet. What will happen with the simultaneous arrival of Internet objects, new types of computers (quantum ?), etc.
We are entering a period which is bringing us the development of four different Webs, BitCloud, 3D interfaces and, above all, the fact that 50% of the population will connect to the Internet to find solutions to new currently-unknown needs.
The present superpowers are empires with clay feet, because they are at the mercy of the behavior of their users. It requires boldness to bet on their long-term survival, especially if one thinks of the plunge of Kodak (which was the world ‘s Keeper of Records just a few decades ago), to Microsoft, IBM and Bell.
Some possible solutions
We will have to change our behavior individually :
- use Open Source software more often ;
- Copyleft and Creative Commons ;
- vary sources of search engines and browsers ;
- remove friends you do not know ;
- waive services whose collusion with PRISM is proven ;
- use Facebook more sparingly ;
- require that the home pages of the sites mention how long the trace of our requests is kept ;
- make spam expensive to publish ;
- and awaken our rulers to digital reality!