- In the past, across various cultures the global ecological structure was called Mother Earth, Pachamama or Gaia,
- All four structures (which form a whole) was already called Spaceship Earth by Buckminster Fuller and Global Village by Marshall McLuhan. In many peoples’ opinion the best representation of the planet and all continents is the Dymaxion map of Buckminster Fuller drawn on the surface of a polyhedron (1946) :
- The idea of developing a holistic approach began with the work of Jan Christiaan Smuts (1926) and Vladimir Vernardsky (1929), followed by Vannevar Bush (1945) and Teilhard de Chardin (the noosphere, 1955 ). These approaches were followed by the public appearance of Einstein’s Theory of General Relativity and the Theory of Quantum Mechanics by Max Planck.
At almost the same time the first electronic machine to display worldwide information appeared, the electric telegraph (1840), while the planet began to be seen as a whole (universal time zones, Greenwich 1911).
- In his latest book, Al Gore talks about The Global Mind and Earth Inc. (The Future, 2013). Ervin Laszlo of the Club of Budapest, uses the term planetary consciousness (1993). The Club of Rome uses the term System in its first report (1972), a concept adopted forty years later by the Smithsonian Institute report (2012) (chapter 6, no 6).
- Now that globalization has created a growing interdependence among countries, societies are timidly trying to develop global agreements, especially since 1968 when humanity saw Planet Earth from outer space for the first time :
1967 World Intellectual Property Organization (UN, WIPO).
1968 Treaty of Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.
1972 The first questions about our future global growth : The Limits to Growth report of the Club of Rome and the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment (Habitat).
1988 Conversion of the UN IPCC.
1992 3rd Earth Summit (Rio) and later (Rio + 20).
1994 World Trade Organization (WTO).
1995 Internet Protocol Acceptance, which launches digital economic globalization.
1997 The Kyoto Protocol on the greenhouse effect.
1998 International Criminal Court (The Hague).
1998 General Agreement on Trade, which deregulated communications. As a result mobile devices will become as important as fixed land-lines.
2000 UN Millennium Objectives for Development.
2015 COP21 the largest international conference in Paris on climate change.
2016 Big science becomes unified as the Hubble Space Telescope (1990), the Cassini-Huygen probe (1997), the International Space Station (1998), SETI @ home (1999), the Bosom of Higgs (2012), the gravitational waves (2016), etc. all converge together.
- There is more and more discussion of the probable need for forms of democratic global governance. According to several experts, the embryo might be an assembly formed by the G20, the UN Security Council, the WTO and the World Bank.
- Since 2000, many authors have described emerging breakdowns or ruptures : an uniques tipping point, a breakthrough, the great discontinuity, an historic crossroads, Social Shift, New Global Order, The Big Switch, The Tresholds, etc. (chapter 6, no 8).
- Right now, more than twenty countries and many cities are developing societal digital plans from various visioning exercises based on various future scenarios :
Today we hear more and more often the use of terms like the 6th Extinction, 3rd World War and 4th Industrial Revolution, etc.
A world built on new ideas
If we thought differently? If crises are global, responses should be global in scop as well.
Here is the tree of knowledge of our New World. It reflects the new complexity that we must tame collectively. The roots and trunk are the processing of information, which should becomes shared opinion and consensus :